Top 5 Best PinPointers for Metal Detecting
Choosing the right PinPointer metal detector for your treasure-hunting expeditions can be difficult. However, we have teamed together to bring you an informative list and review of all the Top PinPointers on the market.
Any serious detectorist knows you really should have a PinPointer in your treasure-hunting arsenal. The buyer’s guidance and reviews provided below will help you choose the best pinpointer metal detector for your needs.
So, let’s get started!
This particular model comes fully stacked with some features never seen before in a pinpointer! The XP DEUS MI-6 Pinpointer is still so new that availability is LIMITED! However, with such quality and features I believe it won’t take long for this little beauty to storm the detector world!! LET’S DIVE IN!
- You DO NOT have to have a Deus metal detector to use this unit!
- Includes a quality-made holster with a belt clip that has a locking rotate feature for easier access when crouched or digging!
- They even threw in a lanyard! HECK YEAH!
- The rubberized grip has an amazing feel and grip. Very ergonomically designed.
- Rechargeable Battery! Lithium Polymer battery that comes with a 90-hourPinpointer battery life!
- This is a waterproof pinpointer. Yes! Fully WATERPROOF! Up to 6 meters!!
- The bright red makes the MI-6 stand out in the field – and in the eyes of its competition!
XP MI6 Pin pointer Video Review
One of the greatest features of XP’s MI-6 which makes it even more revolutionary and unique is the ability to connect via-radio link to Deus Remote Control and Headphones!
This creates another list of sub-features, which include:
- Anti-Interference System– When you turn on your MI-6 the Deus with go into a standby mode. As soon as you turn it off, the Deus Menu with fire right back up, and away you go
- The Deus Display will change to the MI-6 Display when the device is turned on
- If you lose your device, you can activate Research Mode from the Deus V4 Menu. This feature will help you locate your lost pinpointer. Even if the pinpointer is off!
- According to XP’s website, the MI-6 can be recoverable for several weeks after going missing. This is just pure awesomeness!
The Deus Menu is equipped with a ton of MI-6 adjustments, such as:
- Screen Battery Indicator Meter
- Target Zoom Graph for more precise pinpointing capabilities
- Audio tone adjustments
- Sound modes pitch/zoom (I love the pitch mode! 50 levels of Sensitivity!)
- Research Mode
This Pinpointer is awesome!! The Garrett Pro-Pointer AT will make your life so much easier when you’re out hunting for silver and gold!
This unit ranks #1 on our list due to its sheer awesomeness! It’s a waterproof pinpointer! Hence the name “AT” (all-terrain). This sucker works up to 10 feet below water! How cool is that?
The “Garrett-Carrot” as some enthusiasts call it due to the bright orange color of the housing has 3 sensitivity settings. Low, Medium, and High. Sometimes you don’t need all that awesome power when locating smaller targets!
The retune feature further focuses the signal for those tiny targets! The Garret Pro Pointer AT just simply can’t be beat.
You will be a happy hunter with this purchase. You sure get a lot of bang for your buck!
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Video Review
- Here is another great Pinpointer! The Makro is a 100% waterproof pinpointer! Fully Submersible!
- You can change the audio modes to vibrate only, audio only, or vibrate/audio! This feature is great when you don’t want to potentially attract a lot of attention to yourself when metal detecting in a public area.
- The Makro includes two replaceable hard-shelled covers to protect your unit. One of the covers is just a basic cover, while the other has a scraping tool designed into it
- Includes a finds bag and belt holster, you even get a carrying case complete with a shoulder strap. Not too shabby!
- On top of all that they even provide a 2-year warranty
- The Makro Pointer is fairly new to the scene but it is not stopping them from ranking into our top 5 list! I suspect more quality products in the future!
- We picked the Minelab Pro-Find 35 because this pinpointer’s predecessor – the Minelab Pro-Find 25 – revolutionized pinpointers
- While the Pro-Find 25 was not waterproof, it was the very first to have adjustable sensitivity. The Minelab Pro-Find 35 is fully waterproof.
- Also came up with the audio adjusting control. Where you can have, audio/vibrate, just vibrate, or just audio signal
- These features quickly became available to other makers after the release of Minelab Pro-Find 25
- This pointer comes at a higher price than the rest, however, Minelab is noted for making top-notch equipment. They are a highly respected brand in the metal-detecting community
- 5 sensitivity levels
- 30 hours battery life (nominal)
- 2 yr warranty included!
- The F-Pulse is a pretty badass pinpointer! By almost all accounts, it’s a beauty!
- This baby sniffs out deep targets – it has the deepest detection available. You won’t find another pinpointer that reaches the depths like this one. It uses pulse induction technology.
- Battery powered with 2 x AA batteries – so very economical.
- Pretty good for beginners and easy to use (single-button operation).
- One real benefit is it has a lost alarm – if you put it down & lose track of it this is a handy lost mode alarm feature!
- Waterproof to 6ft and rugged design so it’s abrasion resistant.
- Best of all, it’s really good in highly mineralized soil.
- The LED light brightness adjustability has been questioned by some customers.
- Ergonomically, the F-pulse feels great in the hand. It has a natural shape and is easy to operate even when wearing thick gloves. The button has a distinctly positive “click” to it which can be easier to reliably press than other similar units.
- We cannot deny its superior depth abilities! It could be very useful to have in your metal-detecting arsenal when sniffing out those deep, old, or small targets!
What is a Metal Detecting Pinpointer?
A pinpointer is also known as a probe. It is a handheld metal detector tool whose usefulness comes into play once the metal detector has been used to identify that a metal target (object) is in range.
It is used to closely locate targets and pinpoint the exact location when ready to start digging. In this way, the device is useful for saving recovery time when hunting. These devices are ideally inserted into holes to save digging time without having to dig an entire crater.
There are two kinds of pin-pointers, the type that is built-in and the type that is separate and handheld. The separate, handheld type is the object of this article. Proximity to a metal object makes it go off and the noise is proportional to the proximity. They are also pretty noisy and one thing you may prefer to consider is the kind that vibrates when a target is located.
They are easy to use since no assembly is required. They are separate and so can be used with a wide range of metal detectors. The pin-pointers generally add negligible weight to the detector kit, because they are very light.
On the other hand, they are easy to lose since they are pretty small and can easily get forgotten after hunting.
They could easily get damaged from constant falls.
However, the really good ones do not get damaged even after experiencing up to 10-meter falls.
Other Top Models – Pinpointer Metal Detector Reviews
This model supersedes the earlier version which was hugely popular and highly rated by those who have purchased it. The Garrett Pro-pointer II is not just a sleek design – it has the performance to go with it. It comes with a 2-year warranty. It is designed to make detecting easier for you by finding those difficult-to-find targets thanks to its static detection that cuts down on the recovery time. The Garrett pointer offers 360⁰ side scan detection area and automatic tuning to make work easier for you. This brilliant pinpointer has microprocessor circuitry that will guarantee you full sensitivity and you’ll barely need to tune it. It has a one-touch ease of use that enhances precision and reduces time spent hunting. It also has a scraping blade for searching soil. It has both audible and vibrating alarms which increase in magnitude and intensity as you approach the target.
There are LED lights for improving visibility in low-light scenarios. This pinpointer can help you search with walls and tight spaces and it is also waterproof. It comes packaged with some extras which include: a woven belt holster, a 9 Volt battery, a buyer’s guide from Garrett, and an owner’s manual. The user manual provides you with valuable tips on unique and reliable pinpointing skills and what is more, is that you can try out the side-scanning capabilities. It has a 60-minute battery life and a clever audible loss alarm. This device is proven quality hailing from the renowned manufacturers of the ACE 250 as well as the GTI 2500 metal detectors which many people have fallen in love with.
This Bounty Hunter Pinpointer is excellent value and high quality. For a beginner, a stand-by, or perhaps for a gift, it’s a brilliant buy.
Why? It’s made by the same company (First Texas Holdings Corp) as the Fisher and Teknetics line of detectors – which are all going to cost you a LOT more. So, it may not be THE most powerful tool available, but at around 1/5 of the price of the top-shelf units, it’s a great buy.
Spend all the money you want, but for around the $50 mark (check for pricing – sometimes it’s on sale) you won’t find a better pinpointer. Add more buttons and features that would be nice to have – but that will just put up the price. Maybe later save up and get a more expensive pinpointer, but to get started relic hunting right away, this one will suit your needs and a thrifty or limited budget.
The field of detection is from the tip to approximately one inch (2.5cm) away from and up the shaft. Do note that the detection field size depends on the size of the target.(Larger target, easier to find…)
The Bounty Hunter Pinpointer has a Vibration Signal Indicator. So, if you need or prefer audible detection, this might not be the unit for you.
How about this: instead of some plastic junky toy that gets abandoned in a week consider it an excellent and affordable gift for kids! And what about this: It’s great for finding studs in the wall and letting you know where the nails are!
Can’t go wrong!
There are many happy owners of this INKBIRDPLUS Pinpointer. It has so many plus points.
From being very accurate and very easy to use, all you need to learn is to be able to use it properly and quickly you will learn just by pulling it out of the box and putting in the battery. The instructions in the box are easy to read and understand. It’s super loud, but very lightweight and dependable. Comes with a nice carrying holster and stretchy lanyard.
Some owners have said they’ve bought it initially for their kids but then found they use it themselves more! People who are hearing impaired, so can’t hear the notification sound, appreciate that it also has the vibrate mode. Others love that it’s so securely waterproof and can be used in whatever body of water you wish – lakes, rivers, ponds, ocean (one lady retrieves coins from her fish tank). Luckily, this metal detector has a large O-ring that you can lubricate appropriately to ensure that it is completely waterproof – even in a saltwater environment.
Some added uses are for finding broken sprinkler heads (which use metal adapters)in the backyard. So if one is broken, it’s easy to find and repair – even if underground! Another customer reports they were working in the garden and lost their wedding ring. Even purchasing a full-blown metal detector and searching for 2 days couldn’t locate the ring. With the INKBIRDPLUS – found it in 20 minutes. What an excellent purchase. Life saving!
The INKBIRDPLUS Pinpointer is a great deal to add to your metal-detecting arsenal. Or simply your household toolbox!
Dr. Otek claims they are “the best choice for your first Metal Detector”. Their original intention was to get people up from their chairs and out of the house to cultivate healthy hobbies. So, they’ve made these simple-to-operate devices that beginners can use without any experience. Have they achieved their goal?
By all accounts, customers are very happy with this little beauty! Imagine, after purchasing a metal detector and using it for a while, you realize that you need a pinpointer. But, you want something that is not going to cost more than your detector! The current ‘top-shelf’ models seem to cost well over $100 (unless you are lucky enough to happen across a sale). There are many cheap clones, of course, but if they have poor reviews – as in short range, prone to failure, or not waterproof – do you want to go that way?
Now, consider this pinpointer by Dr. Otek. It reads well and reviews are extensive and excellent! A bonus is that it is waterproof down to 10 feet. It is highly affordable, for what it can do! Which happens to be a pretty good deal of what most of the top-priced ones can do. The purchase includes a 9v battery. The unit is very sturdy and built well, and you can see the manufacturer has paid close attention to the important details. The design is smooth and without too many curves and nooks, where dirt could hide. They even included a small rubber cap to protect the tip from damage during use. There is an o-ring to keep the screw-on cap watertight. Comes with a sturdy and well-made pouch for your belt.
Getting started is as simple as installing the battery and turning it on. When approaching a target, the operator can tell that it vibrates and flashes lights when the target is brought within a few inches (around 4 inches). Bringing the target closer, the vibration increases, and the light changes from red to blue, to white. This means that the pointer is closer to the object.
You are sure to be more than pleased with this pinpointer and after a short time, won’t be able to imagine detecting without it. It has all the functionalities needed and looked for in a pinpointer. Best of all, the price is reasonable and the performance is good as well.
You might have had pin-pointers before, but not like this. This model is extremely accurate and easy to use. You will likely never use another one. Great product – Get yours!!!
PinPointer Metal Detector Buying Guide
Metal detector pinpointing devices are available in various shapes and sizes. The more costly types have been designed using rugged materials and design techniques, but they generally come with a lot more features.
The best pinpointing device for an individual will be determined by the environment in which they want to use the device. As such, a fully waterproof or a minimally water-resistant device will be appropriate if the target search area is near or underwater.
The next item to be factored in while choosing a metal detector is the type of response that the operator would prefer. There are various responses, namely: audio modes, and vibration modes, and in some, there is additionally a target identification light indicator. A really good unit would have a buzzer alarm for telling the location of the metal.
They will also have an LED light to indicate the amount of power. Usually, these devices will use red for low power and green for normal power. Others have vibration as an alternative to the tones. There is an LED flashlight output to assist in illuminating the dug holes. A good model would have a quality, rechargeable lithium battery.
If your search will likely involve having to check for precious metallic items that might be meters deep, the DetectorPro PistolProbe will be quite appropriate. This is because this device is good and it has a better precision when it comes to depths thanks to its pulse induction circuit.
If you are in the hunt for a metal detector Pinpointer to be used for underwater treasure hunting, you need to find out and settle on the waterproof ones.
Models among the Treasure Hunters products have been certified and are good for water metal hunting and you can dive and snorkel with them. The overall best metal detector pinpointer is the Garrett Pro-Pointer and this enjoys quite some popularity due to its weatherproof nature. It also has a belt holster, a scraping blade as well as all the response alarm options. You’ll find all these features will be worth every penny you will spend buying it.
So far the best and top-selling metal detector Pinpointers are the Makro Pinpointer and the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT.
Pinpointer Metal Detector Comparison Chart
|GARRETT Pro-Pointer II Metal Detector
|9.7 x 2.4 x 2.4 in
|BOUNTY HUNTER Pinpointer
|INKBIRDPLUS Pinpointer with LCD Display
|9.1 x 1.8 x 1.8 in
|Dr OTEK MT6 PRO Pinpointer
|12 x 2 x 2 in
In conclusion, having a metal detector pinpointer will be incredibly handy when you are out metal hunting. Save time and make the whole exercise easier and more fun with one of these devices.
While you’re at it, make sure you select a good recovery tool and a holster to compliment your metal detector pinpointer. The choice of the metal detector should be determined by your metal hunting style as well as how much you are willing to spend.
You really can’t tell when it might be your lucky day to find relics and other treasures! You might just end up paying back the amount you spent to acquire your pinpointer while treasure hunting!